Sunday, January 27, 2013

2013 goals: Reading and knitting

 
This year has been one that is more goal focused.  I have set resolutions before and have had little success.  This year I set specific goals.  It has made all the difference.  Also being accountable has helped too.  I have told friends/husband what my goals are so they can help keep me on track.  I also share my progress in a public place like twitter or facebook or here.

My phone has become a great tool for keeping me on track and inspired.  Of course I had to get a pretty case for it.  I used Christmas money I was given to get this on Etsy.  


I have wanted to read my Bible more.  I set up a way that I could easily do that before the new year and actually started before the new year because I was so excited to get started.  I use an app on my phone called YouVersion.  Super easy and very rewarding so far.  I like how I can easily switch between different versions and there are a wide variety of reading plans and devotionals.  It is also easy to see my progress. 


Now for my knitting goal.  My goal is simple.  Knit more.  Here are some of the specifics.  I am going to complete at least one pattern each month.  Also, I have noticed that a secret goal has started to emerge as I have done my planning.  I seem to be knitting more for myself.  I most often knit for others, to give gifts that are hand made.  Gifts are just better when handmade.  I hardly have anything I have made for myself. 

 (Yes, I took a picture of my computer screen, sorry for the arrow) 

So, I admit it.  I have been knitting for myself.  I asked for a knitting book from my favorite knitting designer, Jane Richmond, for Christmas.  My knitting mentor, my mom, bought it for me and gave it to me digitally.  The digital copy is nice to have.  I am able to print the patterns and write on them as I work without feeling guilty. 

 
My January project is a Jane Richmond hat called Renfrew.  It was a great way to start out my 2013 projects.  It was easy and fun.  It is actually knit inside out and then when you are all done you turn it right side out.  It kind of felt like I was opening a present when it was complete and turned it right side out. I actually made two of them, the first one was white and just looked funny with my dark hair under it.  My second version was in navy.   

 
One great side effect of this knitting goal is that it has caused me to knit more.  I have another project I will likely finish in January that I will be sharing soon.  I already have my February project picked but need to get some yarn.  My February pattern is also from Jane Richmond's book, shown above.  I have a feeling I will end up doing all the patterns in that book this year.  


No comments:

Post a Comment