Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Zeke's room




Well, this room has been in the works for quite some time.  I  wanted to share some of the work we have done.

  
I found this abandoned dresser at my parents house.  I sanded it, painted it, and then bought some new hardware.  I love how it turned out and how functional it is.


Sometimes this little bear helps distract Z while I am changing him. Sometimes.

   
I have been trying to get more plants in our home and I wanted Zeke's room to have a little green life.  This is an aloe plant.  The little red stand was on clearance at Target and it is is actually a mini cake stand but it works as a catch all for Zeke's dresser.


We were very blessed to have a talented local photographer take maternity and newborn photos of Zeke, I treasure these images.  Check out Amanda's beautiful work here.

Jason and I think it is important to pray for Zeke so we have a list we are working on that hangs right near his changing station.  It is a nice visual reminder for us every time we are there, which is frequently.  We feel a great sense of responsibility and are honored that God has trusted us with caring for him. 


This room is quite small.  I am careful in choosing what I want to bring into this room.  This tall skinny book case works great in here.  Jason and I love to read.  Making this little reading/rocking corner was a must for this little space. 



I thought a little invisible shelf would work great right near the rocking chair too.  One of my favorite activities is reading to Z.  


I made this easy mobile for above the crib.  All I did was find a whale template online and traced and cut them out of scrap book paper and hung them from a embroidery hoop.  I have been surprised how much he likes looking at the whales spin by.  



There are things I want to still find for this room a new clock is one of them, but this will do for now.  I like this baseball photo for his room because it is very "boy" but not too baby.  My friend Steph gave us this "Z is for Zeke" art, love it. 



The old wooden duck was my Grandpa's and I think of him when I see it in Zeke's room.  It feels good to remember loved ones.  The knit ducks are from a childhood friend of mine.  Thanks Jill!  I look forward to seeing Z pull these around when he starts walking.

The photos on the wall are from my new favorite app, Postal Pix.  It is a super easy way to get pictures off my phone and up in our home. 

The bat art is something I did as an elementary student.  My Grandma loved it so much (don't all Grandma's love their grand kids art?) that she had it framed and matted.  It's kinda strange but I like it. 


Here's a close up of a shadow box I did.  I got the ideas for what to include in it from the many examples on Pintrest.   My favorite part of it is the graph that shows my contractions.  I worked hard to bring our little guy into the world. I have evidence! 

I hope you enjoyed seeing this room.  I still want to get a fun light fixture and a small carpet.  Also, Jason and my father-in-law put down new laminate in this room, took out old carpet.  He did such a great job now I want him to do the rest of the upstairs.  

It is so rewarding seeing a room come together.  It motivates me to keep moving and work on other rooms.  I think our bedroom should be next.

6 comments:

  1. The little ducks look right at home in Z's room. =) Cherish this time when you get to decorate the way you'd like to--and not out of necessity because all too soon it will be "nothing glass or precious" lest it get broken when toddler is supposed to be sleeping, HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Jill! He gets more mobile everyday.

      Delete
  2. Also, we have the same "Little House on the Prairie" box set--though I'm really thinking about getting the new set with colored illustrations when I start reading them to L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room turned out great. So much thought went into each piece that he is sure to love it & find it special as he gets older. And I love how you have filled some space with pictures. The dresser turned out amazing & I love the fun colors of his changing pad & his name on the wall. You've done a superb job Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannette! It's so much fun to make a house a "home". Now on to other rooms!

      Delete