Thursday, August 22, 2013

Strawberry picking memories and carrying on traditions




I had a wonderful childhood with summers being extra special.  Without the burden of homework we had time to really play.  


I grew up in the country with plenty of places to roam and make forts.  Life was easy and fun.  Growing up my Mom made jam every summer.  Berry seasons were a great part of summer time fun.  We would start with strawberries, then blueberries, some raspberries (not usually enough for jam, just eating), and end with blackberries.  Now that I am mostly grown up I want to jam in my home.  We started last year with two strawberry batches and this year we did it again with three batches and some freezing.




Some childhood friends of ours had a family strawberry patch and during one summer we would pick there many of the days during the season for people that didn't want to pick their own berries.  We had tons of fun.  The big soft over rip berries made for great objects to throw at friends. 




Little guy slept the whole time!! My back was pretty sore after but it was worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment