Thursday, June 28, 2012

Garage sale finds

Jason and I usually go to a few garage sales each summer.  We really like estate sales.  Not fake estate sales.  Real ones.  The newspaper ads all claim to be estate sales but they aren't really.  Hard to find the real deal.  Some Saturday mornings we head out.  I do love these types of outings with Jason.

Here are some of the items we found. 

 


This box opens up!  We got these boxes for 5 dollars each.  Not too bad. 

 This cute lamp caught my eye, only three dollars. 

  I have been wanting a dutch oven of my own. Now I have one! I have been looking into how to season it.  It was 16 dollars.



 These glass insulators are so beautiful.  I have seen them here and there online and have always wanted some.  These were two dollars each!  

The experience involved in getting the glass insulators and the next two items was unforgettable.  We headed for this sale not far from our house and as we were getting closer I said to Jason..."I wonder if it is at that one place with all the stuff in their yard?"  As we got closer I got more excited.  This place was straight out of American Pickers.  When we pulled up I was surprised to see how many cars were there for being in the middle of the woods.  Nothing was priced at this sale.  If you wanted something you had to go up to this man in bibs sitting on his four wheeler with a huge white/gray beard, sunglasses and a baseball hat.  I was a little nervous.  He was very nice though and let me name my own price.  He had some cool stuff.

  Jason picked out this milk jug thing.  I wasn't sold on it at first but it is pretty sweet.  The thing I like about this sale was that you just can't find this stuff out there in an average store.  It has character.  It has a story.


Now this is awesome.  I got it for 5 dollars!  It is super heavy.  We looked it up and it was made in the 1930's.  We have plans to clean this guy up and have it sit somewhere around the house.  It would rock if we could get it working.  Just dreaming.  More to come on this find.

Garage sales are kinda cool because it gets you out there in your community, talking to your neighbors.  When you live out in the country like we do it can sometimes be hard to chat casually with the people you live near.  How do you connect with your neighbors?     

No comments:

Post a Comment