Friday, April 6, 2012

A project long overdue


Last spring we bought a metal drawer set from an estate sale.  I had been looking around inside the house at the sale and Jason was looking around in the garage.  I joined him outside and spotted it.  How could he not see the beauty?  Well, maybe it was all the rust, dust, and junk inside the drawers.  I debated all year about if I should paint it or not.  At first I really wanted to paint but slowly that old "distressed" look grew on me.   I had been removing all the odds and ends out of the drawers though out the year.  As I was going through all of it I couldn't help but think about the man that had used this as his catch all for parts and manuals.  I found these keys and decided to do save them. 



 I wonder what all these keys open.  No way to know.


I picked up a shadow box (from Micheal's, using one of my coupons) and a sheet of scrapbook paper.  I arranged the keys with the coolest looking ones in the middle.




Turned out pretty great.  I haven't decided where to hang it yet though.  So, back to the drawers.  I decided to just give all whole thing a good clean.  After much soap and water and I would say over an hour of scrubbing I brought it inside.  Here's some of the scrubbing process.


Alright, I know you can't scrub rust away...but I kinda like it.  Looks sweet with that green. 






Totally worth the thirty dollars!!! Maybe it's just me but I sure do love that old worn look.  Looks like it's lived, or been loved, right? 


No comments:

Post a Comment